Our minds are usually half asleep, and even though it seems as though we’re always thinking a lot and we’re very vital and present, in fact we are almost somnolent and robotic in our reactions. The whole point of meditation is to learn how to wake up, to develop greater clarity, to be more aware and more absolutely in the moment. It is to be conscious in the moment without all our usual projections, opinions, ideas and mental chatter going on. At a fundamental level, we are awareness.
from the book Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Tenzin Palmo.
Further quotes from the book Reflections On A Mountain Lake:
- Beginning to develop awareness
- We never actually perceive what is there
- Cut off from the present moment
- No connection with that particular doctrine
- Being quite happy with a question mark
- The Secret To Surfing the Waves