Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others.
from the book Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Pema Chödron.
Further quotes from the book Comfortable with Uncertainty:
- Complete acceptance of ourselves as we are
- Remaining stuck in the repetitious habit of escalating our dissatisfaction
- Pain and pleasure go together
- The possibility of being able to expand
- Learning to leap into open space
- The healing power of bodhicitta
- Cultivating Compassion
- Beyond punishment and reward
- Recognizing What’s Going On
- Humor and openness
- Abandon any hope of fruition