There’s no problem with being where you are right now. Even if you feel loving-kindness and compassion for only one sentient being, that is a good place to start. Simply acknowledging, respecting, and appreciating the warmth is a way to encourage its growth. We can be where we are and at the same time leave wide open the possibility of being able to expand far beyond where we are now in the course of our lifetime.
from the book Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Pema Chödron.
Further quotes from the book Comfortable with Uncertainty:
- Complete acceptance of ourselves as we are
- The healing power of bodhicitta
- Remaining stuck in the repetitious habit of escalating our dissatisfaction
- Learning to leap into open space
- Pain and pleasure go together
- Cultivating Compassion
- Recognizing our shared humanity
- Beyond punishment and reward
- Recognizing What’s Going On
- Humor and openness
- Abandon any hope of fruition