An emotion is like a cloud passing through the sky. Sometimes it is fear or anger, sometimes it is happiness or love, sometimes it is compassion. But none of them ultimately constitute a self. They are just what they are, each manifesting its own quality. With this understanding, we can cultivate the emotions that seem helpful and simply let the others be, without aversion, without suppression, without identification.
from the book Insight Meditation: The Practice of Freedom
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Joseph Goldstein.
Further quotes from the book Insight Meditation:
- The meditative journey
- Freedom Lies in the Wisdom to Choose
- Undistracted awareness
- Being with it fully
- Purpose of practice
- The foundation of goodwill
- The wonderful paradox about the truth of suffering
- Just sitting and watching
- Seeing impermanence deeply
- Awareness of thoughts
- Becoming aware of suffering