Pride and pity are closely related. Believing that your life is harder and sadder than everyone else’s is simply a manifestation of clinging to self. When the self develops self-pity, it eliminates any space that others have to feel compassionate.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist:
- Enlightened beings may seem insane
- Buddhist renunciation
- What is life?
- The Self
- The habit of self
- Emotionally not possible
- Change is inevitable
- Beyond nonviolence and meditation
- Eventually we are disappointed
- Like a child at the cinema
- Four seals
- Enjoying the bliss of ignorance
- The impossible is possible
- The real source of fear is not knowing
- Happily ever after
- Like moths to the flame
- Shielding ourselves and others from the truth
- Driven by ambitions