Pride and pity are closely related. Believing that your life is harder and sadder than everyone else’s is simply a manifestation of clinging to self. When the self develops self-pity, it eliminates any space that others have to feel compassionate.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist:
- Clinging to our hopes and fears
- A practicing Buddhist
- A simple, scientific fact
- Living fully
- Our true nature is like a wineglass
- The spiritual path is a temporary solution
- Buying into emotions
- Pride and pity
- Like monkeys
- Your own ignorance betrays you
- Not paranoid but prepared
- Not a buddha yet
- I don’t give a damn
- Appreciating the whole cycle of impermanence
- The cup that holds the teachings
- Bound by practicality
- Enlightened beings may seem insane
- Buddhist renunciation
- What is life?