Pride and pity are closely related. Believing that your life is harder and sadder than everyone else’s is simply a manifestation of clinging to self. When the self develops self-pity, it eliminates any space that others have to feel compassionate.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist:
- Buddhist renunciation
- The impossible is possible
- The real source of fear is not knowing
- Driven by ambitions
- Shielding ourselves and others from the truth
- Pride and pity
- Not a buddha yet
- Bound by practicality
- Understanding the nature of enlightenment
- Corrosion begins as soon as creation begins
- What is life?
- Like a child at the cinema
- Change is inevitable
- Where will they scatter my ashes
- Being a Buddhist
- Eventually we are disappointed
- Our true nature is like a wineglass
- The cup that holds the teachings