The dharma is based on honesty, on not having self-deception of any kind. When the dharma says blue, it is blue; when it says red, it is red. Dharma is like saying fire is hot, or the sky is blue: it is speaking the truth. The difference is that dharma is the truth of the reality of the journey toward freedom. Saying that red is red does not particularly liberate you from seeing green or yellow. But when dharma speaks about reality, we see that it is worth stepping out of our little world of habitual patterns, our little nest. In that way, the dharma brings greater vision.
from the book The Path of Individual Liberation: The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, Volume One
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chögyam Trungpa.
Further quotes from the book The Path of Individual Liberation:
- You cannot watch your own burial
- A very valid thing to do
- You have to drown more
- No need to fight
- Useful gap
- Transcending Pleasure, Transcending Pain
- Stocking Up is Not Taming the Mind
- One Truth Without Relativity
- A valid thing to do
- Well-being of body, speech and mind
- The immediateness of what is happening right here and now