In order to make yourself a person of the world, you have had to fight for every inch. Even when you are pressing your clothes or busy organizing a cocktail party, there is always an undercurrent of trying to prove something, trying to achieve something. Whatever you do involves some kind of chauvinism, which in fact could be one definition of ego. However, individual chauvinism can be overcome. The achievement of mindfulness and awareness gives you tremendous freedom: that is the idea of individual salvation. You realize that there is no need to fight or wage warfare. In this way, the development of awareness leads to tremendous relaxation, gentleness, and peace.
from the book The Path of Individual Liberation: The Profound Treasury of the Ocean of Dharma, Volume One
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chögyam Trungpa.
Further quotes from the book The Path of Individual Liberation:
- Dharma is the truth of the reality
- You cannot watch your own burial
- A very valid thing to do
- Useful gap
- You have to drown more
- Transcending Pleasure, Transcending Pain
- Stocking Up is Not Taming the Mind
- One Truth Without Relativity
- A valid thing to do
- Well-being of body, speech and mind
- The immediateness of what is happening right here and now