Many people are afraid of being brainwashed by religion. But there is no fear of brainwashing in Buddhism; we know we are already brainwashed by ego. Because ego does nothing but create pain and suffering, Buddhism is about getting unbrainwashed. It’s about waking up from this hypnotic state of subservience to ego. Through meditation and self-reflection, our own awareness bears witness to ego’s “indoctrination”.
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche
from the book It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book It's Up to You:
- The beginning of courage
- A practitioner’s approach to life
- The practitioner’s approach to life
- Just an expression of mind’s basic nature
- Like a homeless prince
- Taking our reactions less seriously
- Everything is workable for all of us
- The ground of practice is your direct experience