Grasping to a non-existent self, we misread our world and lose the true treasure of our mind. Because of our belief in a self that must be preserved at all costs, ego controls our every mental, emotional, verbal, and physical act. Although our wisdom mind is completely radiant at all times, we become like a homeless prince: a monarch who lives like a vagabond, unaware of his own inheritance.
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche
from the book It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book It's Up to You:
- The beginning of courage
- Ego’s indoctrination
- The practitioner’s approach to life
- Just an expression of mind’s basic nature
- Taking our reactions less seriously
- Everything is workable for all of us
- The ground of practice is your direct experience