Be constant amid the ebb and flow of happiness and suffering. Be friendly and even with others. Unguarded, intemperate chatter will put you in their power; excessive silence may leave them unclear as to what you mean. So keep a middle course: don’t swagger with self-confidence, but don’t be a doormat either. Don’t run after gossip without examining the truth of it. People who know how to keep their mouths shut are rare. So don’t chatter about your wishes and intentions; keep them to yourself. And whether you are speaking to an enemy, an acquaintance or a friend, never break a confidence.
from the book Counsels from My Heart
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dudjom Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Counsels from My Heart:
- An Aspiration to The Great Perfection
- Introduction to the nature of mind
- Investigate the root of mind!
- Remaining in the nakedness of ultimate reality
- The seven sublime riches
- The most profound of all Buddha’s teaching
- The root of Dharma
- Don’t waste your time
- Be without regret
- Dealing with thoughts in meditation
- The Essence of the Path
- Remain within your inner nature