There are times when our mind stays with the object of meditation, but the meditation is not very clear, rather it is gentle and soft. It is easy to mistake this for good shamatha, but, in fact, it is not. Such a subtly unclear state of mind needs to be purified by tightening the mind and making our mindfulness strong, clear, and bright. This brings a sense of lifting both body and mind.
from the book Essentials of Mahamudra: Looking Directly at the Mind
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Thrangu Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Essentials of Mahamudra:
- Mindfulness and alertness
- The union of space and wisdom
- The union of appearance and emptiness
- Understanding the mind as it is
- The foundation of meditation
- The nature of the mind
- Mind’s ability to think and know