It’s quite easy to think that the resting mind and the moving mind have completely different natures, and that when the mind is moving, the stillness has been lost. Some students think that they must clear away the movement before the mind can be at rest. They believe that there is a contradiction between the mind at rest and the mind in motion. In fact, both the resting mind and the moving mind are the union of emptiness and luminosity. We perceive differences due to our confusion. Stillness does not obstruct motion and motion does not obstruct stillness. They are simply one inseparable entity.
from the book Essentials of Mahamudra: Looking Directly at the Mind
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Thrangu Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Essentials of Mahamudra:
- The union of appearance and emptiness
- Understanding the mind as it is
- The foundation of meditation
- The nature of the mind
- Mind’s ability to think and know
- Mindfulness and alertness
- The union of space and wisdom
- Subtly unclear state of mind