There are two somewhat romantic approaches to basic sanity. One is based on a sense of poverty. You feel you don’t have “it,” but the others do. You admire the richness of “that”: the goal, the guru, the teachings. This is a poverty approach — you feel that those other things are so beautiful because you don’t have what they have. It is a materialistic approach — that of spiritual materialism — and it is based on there not being enough sanity in the first place, not enough sense of confidence and richness.
from the book Crazy Wisdom
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chögyam Trungpa.
Further quotes from the book Crazy Wisdom:
- You are something
- getting even with people who make you angry
- Discovering our innocence
- Let the phenomena play
- What is the difference between crazy wisdom and just being crazy?
- The goal exists in every moment
- Life just is
- The mirror of crazy wisdom