Bodhisattvas, not being deceived by their own possessions and so forth, take others, all sentient beings, as their highest priority. They strive to benefit others in any way they can.
“As an extension of that striving,” the Buddha said, “I along with my retinue are continually traveling to many different lands and begging alms from many different types of people. The reason we do this is to make positive connections with as many beings as possible. By making positive, virtuous, and friendly connections with all sentient beings, we can continually bring pleasure and happiness to beings’ minds. These connections are like a bridge of positivity between ourselves and sentient beings. This is why we are always traveling and begging alms.”
from the book Heart Advice of the Karmapa
Read a random quote or see all quotes by the 17th Karmapa.
Further quotes from the book Heart Advice of the Karmapa:
- The Essence of the Buddhist teachings
- A reminder to myself
- Compassion is the root of all practice
- Importance of meditation
- Becoming independent practitioners
- Nurturing the principle of benefiting others
- Practicing love and compassion in an impartial way
- Accomplishing Happiness
- Having confidence and trust in ourselves and in our teacher