Like a child at the cinema, we get caught up in the illusion. From this comes all of our vanity, ambition, and insecurity. We fall in love with the illusions we have created and develop excessive pride in our appearance, our possessions, and our accomplishments. It’s like wearing a mask and proudly thinking that the mask is really you.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book What Makes You Not a Buddhist:
- Corrosion begins as soon as creation begins
- What is life?
- Change is inevitable
- Where will they scatter my ashes
- Being a Buddhist
- Pride and pity
- Eventually we are disappointed
- Our true nature is like a wineglass
- The cup that holds the teachings
- Enlightened beings may seem insane
- Happily ever after
- The habit of self
- Clinging to our hopes and fears
- Today is the death of yesterday
- Appreciating the whole cycle of impermanence
- The real enemy
- Like moths to the flame