The Sanskrit word samadhi is translated in Tibetan as tingdzin, which literally means “deep holding.” The mind is held firmly and deeply so the meditation becomes very stable. Samadhi can refer to either tranquility meditation or insight meditation. By doing this deep meditation, we experience the flavor of samadhi—the exquisite taste of meditation.
from the book Advice from a Yogi: An Explanation of a Tibetan Classic on What Is Most Important
translated by Thrangu Dharmakara Translation Collab
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Thrangu Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Advice from a Yogi:
- Practice Dharma right now
- The importance of a pure motivation
- The great treasure
- Diligent with our body, speech, and mind
- Get along in your family
- The need to rouse our diligence
- We need to make our preparations now
- Since everything comes down to mind