Truth is perfect and complete in itself. It is not something newly discovered; it has always existed. Truth is not far away; it is ever present. It is not something to be attained since not one of your steps leads away from it.
from the book Buddhism and Zen
translated by Nyogen Senzaki & Ruth Strout McCandless
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dogen Zenji.
Further quotes from the book Buddhism and Zen:
- Zen is simply the expression of truth
- Do not desire realization
- Meditation posture
- Think non-thinking
- Allow the practice itself to be liberation
- Open your mind
- The truth is the reality of mind
- Meditation is enlightenment itself