Before you begin meditation take several slow, deep breaths. Hold your body erect, allowing your breathing to become normal again. Many thoughts will crowd into your mind; ignore them, letting them go. If they persist be aware of them with the awareness which does not think. In other words, think non-thinking.
from the book Buddhism and Zen
translated by Nyogen Senzaki & Ruth Strout McCandless
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dogen Zenji.
Further quotes from the book Buddhism and Zen:
- Do not desire realization
- Allow the practice itself to be liberation
- Truth is ever present
- Open your mind
- Meditation posture
- The truth is the reality of mind
- Meditation is enlightenment itself
- Zen is simply the expression of truth