Sit on a cushion in a manner as comfortable as possible, wearing loose clothing. Hold your body straight without leaning to the left or the right, forward or backward. Your ears should be in a line with your shoulders, and nose in a straight line with your navel. Keep the tongue at the roof of the mouth and close your lips. Eyes are slightly open, and breathing is quiet through the nostrils.
from the book Buddhism and Zen
translated by Nyogen Senzaki & Ruth Strout McCandless
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dogen Zenji.
Further quotes from the book Buddhism and Zen:
- Zen is simply the expression of truth
- Do not desire realization
- Allow the practice itself to be liberation
- Think non-thinking
- Truth is ever present
- Open your mind
- The truth is the reality of mind
- Meditation is enlightenment itself