Limit yourself to just a few activities and undertake them all with diligence.
Not allowing your mind to become fidgety and restless,
Make yourself comfortable on the seat in your retreat cabin,
This is the surest way to gain the riches of a Dharma practitioner.
You might remain sealed in strict retreat for months or even years,
But if you fail to make any progress in the state of your mind,
Later, when you tell everyone about all that you did over such a long time,
Aren’t you just bragging about all the hardships and deprivation?
And all their praise and acknowledgements will only make you proud.
from the book Compassionate Action
translated by Adam Pearcey
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chatral Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Compassionate Action:
- But when you die
- No real happiness
- All you need
- By then it’s too late!
- Act accordingly
- Relying on the instructions of your own qualified teacher
- Failing to let go of ordinary concerns
- The best form of austerity
- Taking advantage of our human existence
- A disciplined mind
- Not enjoying meat or alcohol
- Your own true enemies
- View and conduct
- Use it well
- There is nothing more to it than that
- Three kinds of dharma practitioners
- The path of nonviolence
- Our responsibility