It is written in many Theravadayana and Mahayana texts that one should not eat meat. There is also a Vajrayana text that says the same thing, that one should not enjoy meat or alcohol. Because of this I am following the instructions of Shakyamuni Buddha. Being a religious person, I don’t take meat or alcohol and at the same time I try to tell other people not to consume these things.
from the book Compassionate Action
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Chatral Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Compassionate Action:
- Act accordingly
- Relying on the instructions of your own qualified teacher
- Failing to let go of ordinary concerns
- Gaining the riches of a Dharma practitioner
- The best form of austerity
- Taking advantage of our human existence
- A disciplined mind
- Your own true enemies
- View and conduct
- Use it well
- There is nothing more to it than that
- But when you die
- No real happiness
- All you need
- By then it’s too late!
- Three kinds of dharma practitioners
- The path of nonviolence
- Our responsibility