The best spiritual friend is one who attacks yours hidden faults.
The best instructions are the ones that hit those faults.
The best friends are mindfulness and vigilance.
The best incentives are enemies, obstacles, and sufferings of illness.
The best method is not to fabricate anything.
quoted in the book Words of My Perfect Teacher
translated by Padmakara Translation Group
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Atisha.
Further quotes from the book Words of My Perfect Teacher:
- Arousing Bodhicitta
- At your feet I bow
- Actions arising from anger
- Discovering Dharma
- Peerless Teacher, at your feet I bow
- The Six Paramitas
- Impermanence is everywhere
- May we realize the natural state
- Bright moon
- May our minds mingle with the Dharma
- Aspiration for renunciation
- The result of learning, contemplation, and meditation
- The Three Defects when listening to the Dharma
- Even the smallest amounts of merit
- Motivated by ordinary concerns
- No Life Guarantee
- Remembering impermanence
- The need to follow a spiritual teacher