The best spiritual friend is one who attacks yours hidden faults.
The best instructions are the ones that hit those faults.
The best friends are mindfulness and vigilance.
The best incentives are enemies, obstacles, and sufferings of illness.
The best method is not to fabricate anything.
quoted in the book Words of My Perfect Teacher
translated by Padmakara Translation Group
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Atisha.
Further quotes from the book Words of My Perfect Teacher:
- Arousing Bodhicitta
- Motivated by ordinary concerns
- Even the smallest amounts of merit
- Actions arising from anger
- The Six Paramitas
- Impermanence is everywhere
- At your feet I bow
- Aspiration for renunciation
- Peerless Teacher, at your feet I bow
- The result of learning, contemplation, and meditation
- Bright moon
- May our minds mingle with the Dharma
- The Three Defects when listening to the Dharma
- May we realize the natural state
- No Life Guarantee
- Remembering impermanence
- The need to follow a spiritual teacher
- Transforming obstacles into favorable circumstances