You must…be very careful not to mistake the idea of emptiness for the actual experience. The idea of emptiness has to do with intellectual understanding, proving assumptions and drawing conclusions, whereas experience is to see it for what it is, within you, not as a theory but in actuality. You should make sure that you do not make the mistake of taking an idea for the actual experience.
from the book Crystal Clear: Practical Advice for Mahamudra Meditators
translated by Erik Pema Kunsang
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Thrangu Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book Crystal Clear:
- No longer being overcome by thoughts
- Looking at the perceiving mind
- Only ignorance can sustain it
- The nature of thoughts and emotions
- Being ever more careful in our behavior
- Mind and the object of meditation
- In the moment of love