The Great Way is not difficult
for those who have no preferences.
When love and hate are both absent
everything becomes clear and undisguised.
Make the smallest distinction, however,
and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.
from the book Hsin-Hsin Ming: Verses on the Faith-Mind
translated by Richard B. Clarke
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Sengcan.
Further quotes from the book Hsin-Hsin Ming:
- Trying to stop activity
- Of single essence
- Assertion and denial
- Released from all entanglements
- Do not search for the truth
- Life in true faith
- Even a trace of this and that
- Freed from bondage
- Undisturbed mind
- Always before your eyes
- The unity of emptiness
- Definitions have vanished
- Clinging cannot be limited
- The road to nonduality
- Obey the nature of things
- Identical With True Enlightenment
- The mind’s essential peace
- The greatest of all mistakes
- Perfect like vast space