The wise man strives to no goals
but the foolish man fetters himself.
There is one Dharma, not many;
distinctions arise from the clinging needs of the ignorant.
To seek Mind with discriminating mind
is the greatest of all mistakes.
from the book Hsin-Hsin Ming: Verses on the Faith-Mind
translated by Richard B. Clarke
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Sengcan.
Further quotes from the book Hsin-Hsin Ming:
- Clinging cannot be limited
- The road to nonduality
- Obey the nature of things
- No preferences
- Identical With True Enlightenment
- The mind’s essential peace
- Perfect like vast space
- Like dreams of flowers in air
- Trying to stop activity
- Of single essence
- Assertion and denial
- Released from all entanglements
- Do not search for the truth
- Life in true faith
- Even a trace of this and that
- Freed from bondage
- Undisturbed mind
- Always before your eyes
- The unity of emptiness