It is said that the difference between buddhas and sentient beings is like the difference between the narrowness and the openness of space. Sentient beings are like the space held within a tightly closed fist, while buddhas are fully open, all-encompassing. Basic space and awareness are innately all-encompassing. Basic space is the absence of mental constructs, while awareness is the ‘knowing’ of this absence of constructs, recognizing the complete emptiness of mind essence. Space and awareness are inherently indivisible.
Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
from the book As It Is, Vol. 1
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book As It Is, Vol. 1:
- No matter what you do
- Within space
- It is only your mind which experiences
- Motivation to achieve enlightenment
- It is only your mind that experiences
- Satisfying people on all different levels
- What actually takes place
- Self-existing wakefulness
- Empty cognizance
- The single sphere of dharmakaya