If someone defames and disgraces you, that is simply the result of having criticized and dishonored others in the past, especially bodhisattvas. Instead of feeling angry with such people, you should feel grateful to them for giving you the opportunity to purify your past misdeeds.
In all circumstances, it is important to act in accordance with the teachings – but especially at such moments. What is the point of having received teachings if you do not apply them? Unfavorable circumstances are the best opportunity you will have to put the teachings into practice.
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Heart of Compassion: The Thirty-seven Verses on the Practice of a Bodhisattva
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Heart of Compassion:
- Seeing clearly how deceiving the ways of the world are
- Neither discouragement nor pride
- Powerful sources of help
- Two types of friends
- The reason you are wandering in samsara
- Phenomena adorn emptiness
- Nothing to be grasped
- A practice based on your mind
- Phenomena adorn emptiness, but never corrupt it
- Just projections of the mind
- Impermanence dawning in your mind
- The only thing that is really worth doing
- The three aspects of diligence
- The magnifying glass of your faith and devotion
- Sealing your merit with authentic dedication
- Accepting short-term sufferings
- Cutting through subtler misconceptions
- I like suffering