In order to purify the defilements, the teachings and blessings have to penetrate. The most accessible way for the blessings to penetrate is through hearing, so ordinary people are encouraged to listen to teachings. To this end, a guru who can provide accurate practical information is very important, even if he or she isn’t your root guru or tantric master. So, at least in the beginning, a guru with knowledge of the Dharma who is from a traditional, institutionalized path is a safe bet. Through hearing penetration, you acquire a tool to be penetrated by contemplation. And then gradually you develop the capacity to be penetrated by meditation.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
Read a random quote or see all quotes by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
Further quotes from the book The Guru Drinks Bourbon?:
- Going beyond Rational and Irrational Devotion
- Pure perception
- Never opt for the easy way out
- Good gurus are on the verge of extinction
- You and only you will decide
- Spiritual wealth
- Examining the Guru
- Dismantling the puzzle of dualism
- The Worst Forms of Abuse Award
- Celebrity Gurus
- Vajra hell
- The path is practical
- The quest for a guru
- Seeing a student’s potential
- The whole purpose of the outer guru
- Merging with the guru’s mind
- Practicing Dharma requires sacrifice
- Devotion is supreme
- Advice on selecting a guru